Road (Piermont Road north)
Cider Mill &
Abraham Cooper House
& Blacksmith Shop
Joseph DuBois House
Gesner-Conklin Burying Ground
John Henry Gesner Homestead
Nicholas Gesner House
(in Palisades NY)
James Gowdy House
(Abraham D. Haring House) Rose Haven School
Abraham A Haring House
Abraham D. Haring House (Haring- Corning House), Rose Haven School
Jacob Haring House
John A. Haring House
(A Ryker-R B Sloat House)
Rose Haven School
A Ryker-R B Sloat House, "Pegasus Club"
G Ryker - C Sneden House Site & Ice Pond
(Snedens Landing Road)
Piermont Road north (Carterette
Piermont Road south
Rockleigh Borough Hall
(Snedens Landing Road)
Rose Haven School
(Abraham D. Haring House}
Moses T Sneden House
Sloats Saw Mill Ruins
Snedens Landing Road
Henry Tory House I
Henry Tory House II
Van Wickel-Moore House
Washington's Troop Encampment
Borough is rural in character with large open fields and meadow areas,
natural glens, and dense wooded slopes that extend from the eastern side
of the Borough up to the top of the
Palisades ridge in Alpine Township, NJ. Occasional small waterfalls spill
over the steeper inclines and drain into the Sparkill Brook which winds
throughout the entire area. The woods provide a sanctuary for a plethora
of bird species, Red and Gray fox, raccoon, deer, reptiles, and small
natural aesthetics provide a park-like setting for the collection of
historic old homes that dot the Boroughs two main roads.
of the old dwellings are related through their architecture and
genealogy of the families who built them.
heritage of Bergen County is reflected in the architecture of the Dutch
Colonial style sandstone farmhouse and the Dutch style clapboard frame
dwelling. Most of these buildings are situated on large tracts of land
ranging from 2 - 15 acres.
large acreage stemming from the early agricultural and dairy history of
the area, which existed until the early 1940's.
In the early 18th
century, a 12-acre lot was consider the minimum necessary to provide a
family with a living of the land.
On the western slope
of the Palisades, these consisted on a relatively level area of
cultivatable land and for building a homestead, upland pastureland, and
forested woodlots on upper slopes.
earliest farmhouses in the Rockleigh Historic District are typically
Dutch, particularly the 18th century structures.
1½ story gambrel-roofed red sandstone dwellings are indigenous to the
Hudson Valley and Northeast New Jersey region.
Rockleigh Borough has
four good examples of this 18th century-early 19th century Dutch style
While all but the
John A. Haring house have
significantly altered, they still present a visual exterior impression
of Dutch style and have various original 18th century details and
hardware as well as later Federal and Greek Revival elements, indicating
continuous usage and development of the houses.
Perhaps the most significant structure in the district, however, is the
small Dutch form barn which was built in 1806. It is of the traditional
three-bay Dutch barn plan with wagon doors on both gable ends which open
up to a threshing floor flanked by storage and animal isles originally
entered from the outside by doors at the corners of the gable end. As only a
few of these barns still exist in New Jersey, particularly in this
condition, the immediate association of this barn with the nearby John
A. Haring house (1805) makes this farm an unparalleled document of a
Dutch farm complex.
of 1982, there were 29 listed sites and two historic roads located in
the Rockleigh Historic District.
the sites, six are 18th century, five date from the early half of the
19th century, seven date from the second half of the 19th century, three
are from the early 20th century, eight are mid 20th century.
Between 1982 and 2000, 22 modern structures have been built. The
recent structures are all residences set back a considerable distance
from the road and are either in colonial style or provided with
sufficient natural cover as to limit aesthetic encroachment. The styles
of the majority of 20th century structures may be described as "Early
American", "Dutch Colonial" or "Rural" architecture and thereby
contribute to the traditional character of the historic district.
Bergen County Historic Sites
Survey - Borough of Rockleigh - 1981-1982
Bergen County Office of Cultural and Historic Affairs